You must write the COBOL programs in an organized way. It must follow a modular programming approach which is a subset of procedural programming approach.
The COBOL program consists of a logical structure and this is called structure COBOL programming.
Please follow these important points while designing your COBOL program –
- A COBOL Program is divided into DIVISION. Each DIVISION in COBOL Programs is further divides into SECTION.
- A SECTION is further divided into PARAGRAPH.
- PARAGRAPH is divided into multiple SENTENCE.
- A SENTENCE contains STATEMENT.
- A STATEMENT is subdivided into CLAUSE or VERB.
- At the lowest Level, we have CHARACTER or WORD.